DMU logo

Registering to vote

Your vote counts. Locally and nationally, it allows you to help shape the social agenda and the policies which will affect our futures.


Last year, the government introduced the individual electoral registration system, which requires every eligible person to register to vote individually, even if you do not wish to vote in the elections.

This particularly affects students, because the change in law means that universities as ‘head of household’ can no longer register for you.

Electoral Registration FAQs

Who can register?

How do I register?

Why should I register?

How do I know if I'm registered?

When do I need to register by?

How can I vote?

Where can I find out more about the Electoral Register?

Who can register?

You can register to vote in the PCC Elections if you are a British citizen, or an Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK. Only UK nationals will be eligible to vote in the EU referendum.

Everyone has to register individually

You have to provide a few details to register, including your date of birth and national insurance number, but you can now register online.   

Voting arrangements differ slightly for students, overseas voters and service voters.

During the local government elections, students can vote both at their home and term-time address if they wish, providing the addresses are not in the same local government area.

Any British citizen living overseas can vote in the UK for 15 years after they were last on the electoral register. You can vote in general elections, referendums and European elections, but you will not be allowed to vote in local or mayoral elections.

Members of the armed forces can register as a service voter if they live at a British Forces Post Office address, or are stationed overseas. Registration is valid for five years, and we will write to you before the application runs out so you can renew your declaration.

How do I register?

The easiest way to register to vote is online. Alternatively you can call Leicester City Council on 0116 454 2000 or pick up a registration form at one of their customer service centres.

Why should I register?

All British, Republic of Ireland, EU and Commonwealth citizens whose date of birth falls on or before 30 November 1998 are required by law to register to vote, even if you don’t wish to vote in elections. If you are not registered, you can’t vote. You will also be liable to a fine.

Students can register at both their home address and their term-time address – as a minimum, you must register at one of these addresses.

It is also important to register because Credit Referencing Agencies use the Register for credit checking. Your credit rating is affected if you’re not on the electoral register, which could affect your ability to get a loan, a mobile phone contract or a mortgage.

How do I know if I'm registered?

You can call Leicester City Council on 0116 454 2000, or visit their customer service centre at 91 Granby Street, Leicester. The centre is open from 8.30am to 5pm from Monday to Thursday, and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Fridays (except bank holidays).

You can also find out more about the electoral register and how your information is used here.

When do I need to register by?

Police & Crime Commissioner Election

Deadline for registering to vote for those that haven’t already: 18 April

Deadline for requesting a postal vote: 19 April

Election Date: 5 May

EU Referendum (only UK nationals will be eligible to vote)

Deadline for registering to vote for those that haven’t already: 7 June

Deadline for requesting a postal vote: 8 June

Election Date: 23 June

How can I vote?

There are three ways you can vote – most people vote in person at a polling station, but you can also apply to vote by post, or by proxy, which means someone else is allowed to vote on your behalf.

Voting at a polling station

If you're registered to vote you will get a poll card telling you where your polling station is, and when to go there. 

On Election Day your polling station will be open between 7am and 10pm. Staff will give you your ballot paper and explain the voting process to you if you have any questions.

Voting by post

You can register to vote by post here. Paperwork can be sent to any address, including overseas. Your ballot paper will usually be sent out about a week before Election Day.

Vote by proxy

A proxy vote is where someone else votes on your behalf. You have to give a reason why you are applying for a proxy vote, for example, if you will be away on holiday, or have a physical condition that prevents you leaving your home.

You can apply for a temporary proxy vote, or a permanent one on health, employment or educational grounds.

Anyone can be your proxy as long as they are eligible to vote in UK elections. You cannot be a proxy for more than two people at any one election, unless they are a close relative.

The deadline for applying for a proxy vote is normally two weeks before an election, but if you have a medical emergency, you can apply for an emergency proxy vote after this time.

Where can I find out more about the Electoral Register?

To find out more about the Electoral Register please visit  or to register directly, please visit  

Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.