One-to-one business advice
Business Support Sessions are available to DMU students and graduates.The sessions can be effective in helping you explore your business idea and the option of being self-employed.
The appointments are typically 30 minutes long, confidential, one – to-one sessions between yourself and an experienced adviser. The types of issues which might be covered in a session include:
- Discussing your business idea and the inspiration behind it
- The process of starting a business
- Exploring the key factors you need to consider with your idea
- Talking about the research you have already conducted
- Exploring the different types of business structures
- Discussing ways of funding your business
- Looking into areas where you are less confident in your skills and providing strategies to build your confidence
- Reviewing your journey so far and what your next steps may look like
- Other support available at DMU
The structure and content of a session may depend on what your needs are and how far along in your journey you are, typically the business adviser will offer:
- Impartial, client centered and non-judgmental guidance
- Support in prioritizing actions
- Accurate and up to date information
- Alternative sources of information and specialized help where appropriate
A business support session will not include:
- Telling you what is best for you – the decisions need to be yours.
- Reading and reviewing a business plan
- Providing industry or DMU faculty specific contacts
- Seeking additional resource on your behalf
- Registering your business with HMRC or Companies House
- Completing your tax returns
- Checking and reviewing your accounts
Advice sessions take place between 2-4pm on Tuesday and Thursday in the Innovation Centre (opposite The Bowling Green pub).
To book your 30-minute appointment with one of our qualified business advisors visit MyGateway.
Tuesday and Thursday, 2-4pm in the Innovation Centre.
How to book
To book a 30-minute appointment with the team please visit MyGateway.