Graduation Support Fund
Graduation will always be one of the most special days of a student’s life and at De Montfort University we work especially hard to ensure you have the most fantastic end to your time at university.
We recognise that sometimes students are unable to attend their graduation ceremony because they are unable to meet the cost of tickets for their guests and gown hire.
We are therefore offering students who are facing genuine and unavoidable hardship the opportunity to submit an application to receive two guest tickets and gown hire free. Please note that you do not have to pay for your own ticket to graduate.
Please note that regardless of whether you are provided with free tickets or not it is your responsibility to register your attendance directly with the graduation team, please see instructions on how to reply to your invitation.
You need to register your attendance by 5pm on Thursday 6 december 2018. If you do not register your attendance, your application for the support fund will not be considered. You will then need to register under the late booking policy and will not be eligible for the Graduation Support Fund.
How to apply for the Graduation Support Fund
Submit an application form including a statement of between 400 and 500 words which makes a case for your eligibility for support. Include your P Number.
Supply up to four pieces of documentary evidence to support your case. Applications received without documentary evidence will not be considered.
Email this to email@example.com and mark your email ‘Graduation Support Fund’
We have a limited number of awards to allocate to cover some of the cost of your graduation. In order to be eligible you need to submit between 400 and 500 words making a case for support. This case should detail financial pressures that may prevent you from coming to your graduation. Anything below 400 or after 500 words will not be taken into consideration. You must also submit up to four pieces of documentary evidence that you believe may support your application. The deadline for submission is 5pm on Thursday 6 December 2018
A panel will consider your application and communicate the outcome no later than Monday 17 December 2018. If your application for the Graduation Support Fund is successful and you have already purchased two guest tickets and ordered your robe, this will be refunded. Please note that if your application is successful but you are notified that you have not passed, and therefore not able to graduate, your robes and tickets will be cancelled.
The decision of the panel is final and is not subject to appeal. We have a limited number of awards which will be distributed to those who demonstrate the greatest need.
Please ensure you meet the eligibility using the below checklist before submitting your application. In some circumstances we may award an application that doesn’t meet all of the below criteria but does demonstrate exceptional circumstances which may have caused you recent financial hardship.
Graduation Support Fund criteria checklist
Awarded where applications have demonstrated that they have met all or most of the criteria below. Maximum award of gown hire and two guest tickets.
- Eligible for undergraduate students only
- Must not be a debtor to the university, including library, tuition fees or equipment debt
- Must be eligible to graduate in January 2019 (cannot be deferred for a later graduation)
- Must demonstrate financial hardship through a 400 to 500 word submission on the application form and up to four supporting pieces of documentary evidence (each must be no more than one side of A4).
Your submission could include references to:
- substantial hardship
- SLC funding not covering living expenses
- previously receiving some form of hardship payment i.e estranged students bursary
- studying whilst supporting a family or family members
- being unable to ask for support from family members or family members unable to give support
- illness, disease or incidents that have left the student in hardship
- completion of a programme with 'hidden costs' i.e high printing costs
Provide up to four supporting pieces of documentary evidence (each must be no more than one side of A4), for example, evidence of a disability (Personal Independence Payment/Disability Living Allowance), income-related benefits, medical evidence, evidence of recent job loss (P45), bank statement
Any application that is not accompanied by documentary evidence will not be considered.
Demonstration of exceptional circumstances that have caused you recent financial hardship
- Graduation Support Fund open: Monday 5 November 2018.
- Deadline for all applications: 5pm on Thursday 6 December 2018.
- Students receive outcome of decision: Monday 17 December 2018 (please avoid contacting us about your application before this date)
You must have registered and confirmed your place at the ceremonies via the online booking system before 5pm on 6 December 2018.