Square Mile India
For just £2 a month, you can change a child's life for good when you become a sponsor with DMU Square Mile India.
From as little as £2 a month, you can help the children living in a special hostel at the Gandhi Ashram in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Your support would transform the life of a child living extreme hardship, by providing essentials including books, medical care, access to education and a brighter future.
Sponsor a child today and see the difference your support can make.
How to make your donation
To make a monthly donation to the Square Mile India Fund, please download the donation form and return it using the details provided. £20 per month will ensure that a single child is provided with enough food, clothing and medical care for the month. Staff, students and the public are all welcome to sign up.
Alternatively you can make a single gift online here.
The donations received from students, staff and friends of the University is already making a real difference. Children in the Ashram have been provided with durable pillows to rest their heads on at night, large mats so they no longer have to sit on the hard concrete floor, and fresh groceries, vegetables and milk to improve their nutritional intake.
Donations have also allowed the Ashram to invest in additional teaching staff and helped the children go on educational field trips to nearby historical and cultural sites.
As part of DMUglobal we are sending students out to the Ashram on a regular basis to provide feedback on the children and how your money is being spent. You can hear about the experiences of some of our students who have visited the Ashram here.
Sponsoring a child is just the beginning
Square Mile India will expand into a series of projects sharing the skills of DMU students and staff to make a positive change for thousands of people, adding an overseas dimension to the university’s Square Mile project, and involving DMU’s pioneering international experience programme #DMUglobal.
Drawing upon DMU research to support Indian communities and giving students the chance to gain valuable global experience, the initiative is set to make a real difference to the lives of some of the poorest and most vulnerable families in the region of Gujarat, India’s westernmost state.
Future Square Mile India projects will:
- Connect remote rural villages to sustainable energy resources
- Provide health outreach to hundreds with eyesight and hearing problems in Gujarat
- Create a new Square Mile in the slum of Ramapir No Tekro in Ahmedabad, Gujarat’s largest city
- Offer more than 200 DMU students the opportunity to put their degree skills into practice within Indian communities with #DMUglobal
- Develop new projects with partner universities, organisations and charities in India
- Create global internships for 80 Indian students at DMU
- Support a home for 120 underprivileged children, as well as wider health and education programmes for underprivileged groups
Please make a gift today and help us continue supporting these wonderful children.