Promote and improve our city
- Be the partner of choice within our city
- Support the promotion of Leicester as a global city of intellectual, cultural and sporting importance
- Provide a significant contribution to the social and economic development of our city through the activities of our partners, staff, students and alumni
Rooted in Leicester’s past, but with a dynamism and boldness that will help to define Leicester’s future, the next five years will see us play a critical role in the transformation of our city.
Through our sector-leading and multi-award winning Square Mile initiative, we have started to establish a deep and mutually beneficial relationship with our local community and major civic institutions in our city. Building on this success, over the next five years we will rapidly expand the scope and ambition of our civic engagement through a unique partnership with the city council focused on responding to some of the critical challenges facing our city. This partnership will be one of the most extensive between a university and a local authority anywhere in the world, and will evolve as new priorities and dimensions emerge over the next few years.
In the first instance, we have jointly identified three priority areas:
The improvement of educational achievement by providing support for literacy, science, technology and maths subjects in Leicester’s schools
The well-being of our city and its communities
The rejuvenation of our city centre by encouraging our graduates to remain in Leicester and establish start-ups
This strand of our framework is not just about looking inward. We have a responsibility, with the city mayor, University of Leicester, University Hospitals Leicester and other major public agencies within the city, to take Leicester to the world and enhance the global, intellectual, sporting and cultural reputation of our city through our research and educational activities. By doing so, we will help the city create a virtuous circle of investment from tourism and major global organisations which will provide the social and economic capital to transform Leicester.
Key Performance Targets
- Economic and social impact of DMU on Leicester (annual report)
- Number of DMU graduates employed or self-employed in Leicester 12 months after graduating
Key Performance Indicators
- Number of #DMUlocal volunteering hours
- Educational improvement of schools working within #DMUlocal
- Number of Leicester citizens engaged with from a wellbeing perspective
How we want to strengthen our global reach and influence