We provide our students with access to a wide range of outstanding services and facilities, many of which are reserved exclusively for those studying psychology. Psychology facilities are managed by two dedicated Psychology Technicians. This individual also provides support to students in many ways, from booking research rooms to setting up equipment for psychological experiments. Our facilities include:
- Two dedicated IT laboratories containing 35 workstations with networked computers (6 of which are accessible to students with disabilities)
- 6 dedicated experimental cubicles each containing a networked computer and having room for 2 people. Cubicles are equipped with closed circuit cameras so that observational studies can be performed
- A dedicated psychological observation laboratory which incorporates a partitioned observation area with group discussion space for up to nine individuals and a facilitator. This suite contains a networked computer and video/DVD playback facilities. Observational recording is possible from the control room either by a video recorder or a DVD/hard disk recorder
- A dedicated perception laboratory, equipped with a Cambridge Research Systems Visual Stimulus Generator and light box for conducting plate based tests under controlled lighting conditions
- 5 additional dedicated psychology experimental rooms. These rooms vary in size and can accommodate between 2 and 10 people. All rooms contain networked computers and/or video/DVD playback facilities
- 3 general computer laboratories that are used for psychology teaching. These laboratories contain 32, 30 and 24 PCs, respectively
- 475 open access PCs in the university library
All PCs have internet access and a range of standard software, including Word and Excel. The statistical software SPSS is available on all PCs in the computing laboratories in the Hawthorn building where psychology is based and is also provided on a number of computers in the Library.
You will be able, under the terms of the licence agreement, to receive the software at a reduced fee for installation on your own PC.
Superlab is available in each laboratory in the Hawthorn building, along with a number of teaching packages. Adobe Audition is available on all computers in the Psychology computer laboratory for interview analysis.
We also maintain a stock of over 200 psychological tests which can be used for staff and student research. Besides our psychological tests, we have a range of additional resources for research including psychophysiological measuring equipment;
- Cedrus response boxes for interfacing with Superlab (experimental generator software)
- a variety of recording equipment for interviews both tape based and digital; headsets and microphones; and a suite of perception tests